Introduction to Digital Marketing
Digital marketing are all marketing activities that use an electronic device or the Internet.
It is the marketing of products or services using digital technologies. Mainly on the Internet. It also include mobile phones, display advertising, and any other digital medium. Digital marketing channels are systems based on the internet. They can create, accelerate, and transmit product value from producer to the terminal consumer by digital networks.
This development since the 1990s and 2000s has changed the way brands and businesses use technology for marketing. Digital platforms are increasingly used into marketing plans and everyday life and as people use digital devices instead of visiting physical shops.
Online or internet marketing now extends to non-Internet channels that provide digital media, such as mobile phones (SMS and MMS), call back, and on-hold mobile ring tones.
In essence, this extension to non-Internet channels helps to differentiate digital marketing from online marketing.
Digital Marketing can bring you enormous business growth to reach your potential customers efficiently and effectively
Types of Digital Marketing
Here are the main types of digital marketing you should consider for your business.
- Content Marketing. …
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) …
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) …
- Social Media Marketing (SMM) …
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC) …
- Affiliate Marketing. …
- Email Marketing. …
- Instant Messaging Marketing.
Benefits of Digital Marketing:
•Global reach – A website allows you to find new markets and trade globally for only a small investment.
•Lower cost – A properly planned and well targeted digital marketing campaign can reach the right customers at a much lower cost than traditional marketing methods.
• Measurable results – Measuring your online marketing with web analytics and other online metric tools, makes it easier to understand effectiveness. You can get detailed information about how customers use your website or respond to your advertising.
• Personalized data – if your customer database is linked to your website, then whenever someone visits the site, you can greet them with targeted offers. The more they buy from you, the more you can refine your customer profile and market effectively to them.
•Openness – by getting involved with social media and managing it carefully, you can build customer loyalty and create a reputation for being easy to engage with.
•Social currency – This content (images, videos, articles) can gain social currency – being passed from user to user and becoming viral.
•Improved conversion rates – if you have a website, then your customers are only few clicks away from making a purchase. People don’t need to get up and make a phone call, or go to a shop. Digital marketing can be seamless and immediate.
Disadvantages of digital marketing
Some of the downsides and challenges of digital marketing you should be aware of include:
- Skills and training – You will need to ensure that your staff have the right knowledge and expertise to carry out digital marketing with success. Tools, platforms and trends change rapidly and it’s vital that you keep up-to-date.
- Time consuming – tasks such as optimizing online advertising campaigns and creating marketing content can take up a lot of time. It’s important to measure your results to ensure a return-on-investment.
- High competition – while you can reach a global audience with digital marketing, you are also up against global competition. It can be a challenge to stand out against competitors and to grab attention among the many messages aimed at consumers online.
- Complaints and feedback – Any negative feedback or criticism of your brand is can be visible to your audience through social media and review websites. Carrying out effective customer service online can be challenging. Negative comments or failure to respond effectively can damage your brand reputation.
- Security and privacy issues – there are a number of legal considerations around collecting and using customer data for digital marketing